Our Family

Our Family
A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps. Ps. 16:9

Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 4

So, I was just too tired and sore last night to post a blog.  It is getting hard, I'm not gonna lie. We are at the point where we have to decide what the priorities are, and concentrate on those.  With that, we got our "appliances' in yesterday.

Before you can actually set your stove in the cradle, you have to fill it with 3-4 inches of dirt on the bottom, then set it in, then fill in 3 sides also with dirt.

Then starts the clay work.  You need to spread clay on the inside of the oven, as well as all around it, to make sure the heat from the stove stays IN the stove.  So, this has been the kids' favorite job so far, creating the "clay station".  They got the clay ready, and Bill and I started the job of "claying" the stove.

Bill spreading clay on the inside of the stove...

...while I begin to encase the outside with clay.

After you are finished with a layer of clay, you start a fire, which will then dry and bake the clay onto the stove.  Here is Bronia attending the fire, making sure it doesn't get too big and dry the clay too fast, and also to make sure it doesn't go out.

Next is our fridge.  We have dug a hole in the ground, then placed two metal cans in the hole, then filled the hole with wet dirt.  Trust me, it's cold.  We'll get a thermometer, and see how cold it gets.

Lastly, we made the frame, and have set our sink in.

So, we may not have walls, but I can feed my family!  I know my priorities:)

No comments:

Post a Comment